A cycles wallet is a canister smart contract that hold cycles. Users can have as many cycles wallets as they desire.
These wallets are network dependent:
- For local development the wallets are created and funded automatically.
- For the main IC network, creating and funding wallets is a complex process.
The Internet Computer blockchain mainnet cycle wallets can be created using the following methods:
- Through the DFINITY Cycles Faucet and creating a new wallet to fund it with free cycles.
- Or through an empty wallet using terminal commands and funding it through the NNS.
There are three ways to add cycles to an already existing wallet:
- Transfer cycles from another wallet.
- Purchase cycles with ICP utility tokens using the NNS.
- Purchase cycles on DEX (such as Sonic or IClighthouse).
You can create a cycles wallet through the Cycles Faucet and earn free cycles.
And from our step by step guides, learn how to add cycles to a wallet: